20 Oct 2011

New York Rangers & AIK

After my trip to Stockholm to watch NHL for the first time ever live I have finally decided that the New York Rangers are now my NHL team. I also chose a Stockhom team to follow and as the boy had already picked Djurgarden and I like a bit of rivalry, I was left with AIK.  I have decided to blog as much as I can about my new favourite teams. This may prove difficult as I can't understand Swedish to find out what has happened in the AIK games and ESPN America no longer shows the NHL games, but I will try my best!

The New York Rangers have had a shaky start to the season. They lost both games in Stockholm but managed to go home with 2 points as both games went into overtime. When I watched them in Stockholm the team seemed to be missing the momentum and skill up front but Henry "The King" Lundqvist managed to keep them in both games with some unbelievable saves and helped the Rangers to scoop up a few points to start off their season.

On Tuesday night, the Rangers won their first game of the season 4-0 against the Vancouver Canucks. The highlights of the game are definitely worth a watch as the goals were well worked and King Henry got an unbelievable shut out, saving 40 attempts by the Canucks. The forwards looked good too and after two goalless periods all 4 goals came in the third. The goals were well worked, my favourite being the slam dunk by Gaborik to finish off the game.

In other news Mats Zuccarello has been sent to Connecticut Whale and Kris Newbury has been recalled. I liked Zuccarello but he hadn't had the greatest start to the season and something needed to be done. Artem Anisimov was being used more on the power plays which meant Zuccarello didn't get a lot of ice time and seemed to be phrased out. Newbury has been playing very well this season and it gives Zuccarello a chance to get more ice time and become one of the top forwards on the Whale team.

AIK have had a reasonable start to the season and are currently 8th in the Elitserien. Unfortunately they have lost 8 out of the 14 games played but AIK have started to make a come back . At the game I watched they beat Skelleftea 2-1 and last Thursday they managed a 4-0 win away to Vaxjo Lakers; Viktor Fasth with a well deserved shut out. Unfortunately the next couple of games were losses for AIK and on Tuesday Vaxjo got their revenge and beat AIK 4-3. Both teams came out fighting but following numerous penalties against AIK, some of which were a bit debatable, Vaxjo managed to squeeze the extra goal to clinch the game.

Link for highlights of the Rangers v Canucks game, for anyone that's interested!
http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlg=20112012,2,76

No comments:

Post a Comment