4 Jul 2011

James Archer & Stephen Wallace return to Phoenix

Sorry for the delay on this one but as tomorrow is yet again Phoenix signing day, I thought I'd better get my act together :) 

So a couple of weeks ago we saw the re-signing of two British players from last season.

James Archer returns for a second season with Phoenix following an excellent first season with us, where he scored 21 goals and 23 assists. The 22 year old from Sheffield started his career with Peterborough Phantoms and helped them win the grand slam in the 2007/2008 season. Archer played for the Hull Stingrays on loan throughout the last two seasons and has become a well travelled player in the EPL. Tony Hand has stated that he felt that Archer settled well into the team and that her is glad to have him back. To be honest, I was surprised that Archer wasn't one of the first to leave following last season as  I thought he might of signed for Hull Stingrays and he seemed to be lacking the drive towards the end of the season, however, do not take this as if I'm not happy to have him back. He is one of the top British players in the league and the opposition struggle to get him off the puck once he's got it. He is a great playmaker but loves going for an attempt on goal when he gets the chance. I'm looking forward to seeing a few more goals from him this season and I think that him and Slava playing on the same line would be a great combination. I would also like to see him drop the gloves occasionally (but then again, I do like a good fight!)

Stephen Wallace is returning for his third season with Phoenix following a 50 point season making him the sixth top British scorer in the league and the third within Phoenix. The 27 year old from Billingham started his career with the Billingham Bombers and has had an extensive career within the BNL/EPL including stints with Newcastle Vipers, Bracknell Bees and Sheffield Scmitars. Tony Hand has said that Wallace was certainly one he wanted back and is delight that he will be with us for another season. I thought that Wallace played really well last season, he has great puck handling skills and a good shot. He started coming back to help out the defence last season which I think will help develop his game and he will get better as the season goes on. I think he will be one to watch for the 2011/12 season. 

More news tomorrow - I'll try and do my blog quicker this time! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment